The concept of digital transformation encompasses not only the implementation of cutting-edge technologies within organizations, but also the redefinition of business processes in order to automate and streamline. For this reason, it is essential to acquire a new mindset that allows you to see technology as an enabling and strategic tool for achieving your company’s main goals.
In this article, we will look at:
- Digitization of business processes;
- Automation of document processes;
- Technologies involved;
- The main benefits;
- Document hyperautomation: myBiros & Automyo.
Digitalization of business processes
What is the definition of digitization? In a nutshell, we can say that digitization is the optimization and improvement of activities, data flows and procedures within a company by exploiting automation and advanced technologies.
One of the primary objectives is to make operations efficient and streamlined in order to minimize manual steps and, therefore, errors, redundancies and repetitive activities, ensuring total transparency and full executive control over each activity, while also collecting data useful for operational efficiency.
Another interesting aspect is that the digitization of business processes makes communication, collaboration and, more generally, interactions both within and outside organizations pervasive. To be effective, digitalization processes are planned carefully, prioritizing the processes or parts that can benefit it most. Furthermore, this must be in line with the company’s priorities and objectives for growth and improvement. Having identified possible improvement points, the next step is to identify the necessary tools and technologies for company digitalization. Precisely for this reason it is essential to have full knowledge of the IT systems already in use in the company, evaluating the way to improve them through other digital tools.
Process digitization is effective if it is possible to digitally integrate processes, bringing the various departments that make up the organization into line with digital working logic. In this way, the company can quickly ride the market trend by increasing productivity, reducing internal costs and increasing awareness of data-driven choices and consequently its competitiveness in the market itself.
Document process automation
The subject of process digitization is closely related to that of digitization and automated document processing.
It is essential to have modern document management and to be able to optimise the enormous effort required to store, classify and process documents related to the various business processes. Just to name a few examples, these range from the management of invoices and expense reports, to HR processes and all documentation circulating in the back-office.
Business documents are a fundamental part of the processes on which the business is based. Therefore, everyone in the organization must be able to easily access the documents and the information they contain at any time. Furthermore, the use of Intelligent Document Processing (IDP) solutions not only makes it possible to make data easily accessible, but also to unify the many sources from which documents are received, making data available in the company’s information systems and making it possible to automate the actions that are performed on the basis of the information gathered. Centralised and unified document management also allows for a much higher degree of security and control.
Main technologies involved
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR): OCR is a technology that enables computers to recognise and extract text from scanned documents or images. This is typically used as the first step in the digitisation of paper documents. This step enables further automatic processing based on the automatically read text
- Computer Vision Techniques: interdisciplinary field of study that enables the automatic processing of images in order to perform various tasks. Through the use of neural networks, it is possible to automatically identify document structure such as title, paragraphs, signatures, tables and much more. Often also useful for classifying documents by analyzing the image and for information extraction.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP): it is a field of artificial intelligence that focuses on the ability of computers to understand, interpret and generate text. It is often used in intelligent document processing to extract information from unstructured text, such as entity identification.
- RPA: is a type of solution designed to automate repetitive tasks based that are normally performed by human operators. This is often useful in intelligent document processing to automate upstream and downstream integrations of document processing and to perform actions based on the data obtained.
- Data storage and management systems: these are systems used to store and manage the data generated by intelligent document processing and RPA systems. This may include databases, data warehouses and other systems.
- User interface tools: These are tools used to provide a user-friendly interface for interaction with intelligent document processing and RPA systems. This may include technologies for building Web interfaces, mobile apps or other types of interfaces.
The main benefits
Intelligent Document Processing solutions enable companies to achieve several benefits:
- Direct time and cost savings: Leveraging scalable, high-performance architectures reduces time and costs, dramatically lowering the effort to process large volumes of data.
- Repetitive manual tasks reduced: Artificial Intelligence minimizes the need for manual intervention to process documents.
- Higher data quality: Continuous learning and validation improves data quality, drastically reducing errors.
- Fast data processing: IDP solutions are easily integrated via RPA mechanisms, often 5-10 times faster and easier to integrate than other approaches
- Process any document: Thanks to Artificial Intelligence, documents of all types can be managed: structured, semi-structured and unstructured.
- Full automation: Thanks to the simplicity with which the IDP integrates with other areas of the company, a fully integrated RPA solution is easily realised without the need for costly upgrades.
- Improved productivity: IDP helps organizations increase productivity and reduce time spent on repetitive tasks, improving the quality of the working environment.
- Easy for businesses to use: With per-build use cases to choose from and synergy with RPA solutions, launching and integrating common use cases is quick and easy.
Document hyperautomation: myBiros & Automyo
myBiros is an Intelligent Document Processing solution that enables automatic document processing. Core functionalities are:
- the extraction of information;
- automatic classification of documents;
- extraction of artifacts from the document such as signatures, images, etc..
By exploiting advanced deep learning techniques analyzing multimodal features, it is possible to process all document types in a single solution. The system uses pre-trained models and data-augmentation techniques and can therefore be trained with a reduced volume of data, allowing processes involving a small volume of documents to be automated.
This solution includes a scoring mechanism: the system reduces false positives by enabling the possibility of reviewing low confidence data while minimizing errors. Interaction with a human user enables the system’s errors to be corrected while continuing to train it so that it does not repeat past mistakes (Human in the loop and continuous learning).
It is very easy to integrate myBiros into any application through the use of APIs and easy interaction with RPA systems. This is where Automyo comes in with its innovative RPA solution.
Claudio, Automyo’s RPA product, is designed to improve the business experience of both companies (B2B) and their customers’ customers (B2B2B) by creating more efficient processes at a lower cost. This platform makes it quick and easy to create automated workflows without writing code, putting technology at the service of people and the growth of the business organization.
myBiros and Claudio can therefore work together, to speed up business processes and make the digital transition even easier.
On the one hand, myBiros allows extreme precision in the process of data extraction and digitization of paper, even on low-quality documents. On the other hand, Automyo allows scheduling of automated flows, making myBiros’ automated document processing easier to use and more effective.
A single process that creates an interconnected ecosystem, to support companies and provide them with the right tools for digital growth.